Our team is growing! We are seeking an experienced HR director who is passionate about building high-performance teams. This is a 32 hour a week position. By hiring inspired people, giving them interesting work with innovative tools, and letting them flexibility to complete their work, we’ve found a positive and sustainable way to grow.
Who We Are
We are a fast-paced independent wealth management firm located in Glastonbury, CT. Our clients are business owners, teachers, investors, and people who are experiencing a life transition. Whether it is losing a spouse, preparing for retirement, or starting a family, we are there to support our clients.
We are strongly committed not only to our clients but to our community. We support a number of charitable organizations and groups as a way of saying “thank you” and we encourage staff to get involved with organizations that are special to them.
Who You Are
You are passionate about people and creating a better employee experience that will support our clients and the firm’s continued growth. You are the consummate professional in the way you work with clients, colleagues, and others. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, using excellent interpersonal and communications skills to connect with and guide the team. You enjoy problem solving and developing ways to enhance the employee experience. You believe that learning never stops so you proactively take steps to remain up to date on HR developments. Detailed knowledge of employment laws, leadership development and building a wining culture are just a few of your strengths. You are able to communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and people across all levels of the business, particularly when discussing sensitive and confidential matters. You understand the importance of remaining compliant with employment laws and are highly proficient with Microsoft Office.
More About the Position
This position provides outstanding HR support to strengthen the foundation the firm has built while expanding the scope and depth of assistance we can provide to firm leaders and staff. In this leadership role you will implement all aspects of HR policies and procedures including recruiting, benefits administration, compensation, and staff engagement and development. You will collaborate with senior leaders to understand the firm’s goals and develop, recommend, and implement strategies and initiatives to achieve these goals.
We have state-of-the-art tools and resources to support your efforts, ensuring you are set up for success. We work as a team and support the flexibility employees seek. We provide a comfortable, professional, work environment in our brand-new custom-built office in Glastonbury Center, CT.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to understand the firm’s goals related to staffing, recruiting, retention and culture. Develop, recommend, implement, and monitor strategies and initiatives to achieve these goals.
- Support the development of high-performance teams by motivating, coaching, evaluating, and retaining high performers. Create and monitor performance evaluation and career pathing programs and revise as necessary. Manage talent and engage in employee relations counseling by meeting no less than monthly for in-person check-ins, quarterly performance, and annual performance reviews with administrative team. May participate in other performance reviews with direct supervisors.
- Develop and execute best practices for hiring. Conduct recruitment and onboarding for all positions. Write and place advertisements, interview, negotiate job offers, and implement all aspects new-employee orientation including benefits enrollment.
- Conduct all aspects of termination and offboarding employees. Conduct exit interview. Negotiate final day of work, return of company property, COBRA and continuation of other insurance, and review non-compete contract. With departing employee and their supervisor, develop and manage workflow plan to transition to responsibilities to other team members.
- Direcly manage two part-time receptionists; co-manage administrative team.
- Maintain knowledge of employment laws on the state and federal level. Ensure compliance with laws and exempt/non-exempt status.
- Maintain and update Employee handbook so it is in compliance with state and federal laws, and is aligned with firm’s goals and objectives.
- Coordinate payroll with bookkeeper, and implement and annually update compensation program. Research current salary surveys, develop bonus/incentive pool (salary budget) and revise job descriptions as necessary.
- Implement all benefits administration. Annual research, re-evaluation, enrollment and implementation of insurance benefits. Administer 401k enrollments and plan oversight. Administer all claims resolution relating to unemployment, disability and workers’ compensation. Managing medical leaves including pa/maternity
- Maintain HR records and reports, including tracking PTO. Create and update the firm’s organization chart.
- Conduct research and analysis of the industry and HR trends to support the firm’s strategy and compliance needs, including metrics such as rate of retention, rate of turnover, cost per hire, etc. Evaluate reports, decisions, and results of HR in relation to established goals. Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed by the COO on HR matters.
- Participate in special projects and other duties as required.
- Ability to lead, plan and manage change for a team
- 8–10 years’ successful experience in managing human resources; financial services experience a plus
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Experience supervising a team effectively
- Strong decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to break down complex objectives into discrete steps and implement successfully
- Superior oral and written communications skills. Ability to deliver difficult messages with tact and compassion.
- Technical aptitude, including strong PC, Internet, and software skills
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification preferred
Our values center on teamwork, collaboration, commitment to helping others, honesty, and accountability to ourselves and our clients.
The benefits package includes a competitive salary, bonus, paid vacation and sick/personal time, paid holidays, a 401(k) plan with an employer match, and health, dental, life and disability insurance. Free parking is available.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If what you’ve read resonates with you, we encourage you to apply. Interested parties should email their resume and cover letter with “HR Dir” in the subject line to [email protected] Gottfried & Somberg Wealth Management LLC is located at 340 Hebron Avenue, Glastonbury, CT 06033.